[loulug] Re: VirtualBox Open source VM

  • From: Errol Sayre <errol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:34:49 -0500

No, according to their website neither the host nor the guest can be 64 bit. However, in the future the 64bit version will run 64bit guests on 64bit hosts.

On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Tobin Maginnis wrote:

Oops... VirtualBox does not yet support 64-bit hosts. This is actively being worked on. (And no, you can't install the 32-bit version on a 64-bit host.)

I think this means it will not work if your running a 64-bit OS, but it will work if you run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable host!?!

Errol Sayre wrote:
Many of you will possibly make use of VirtualBox, an open source and free for personal and academic use virtual machine that runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows. I haven't yet played with it to see how it compares to VMWare server, but I've heard from a couple friends that say it is considerably faster during the installation process and feels comparable during normal usage.
http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL