[loulug] Re: Meetings for September

  • From: Jared Breland <jbreland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:47:08 -0500

LOULUG has done installfests in the past.  The distant past, actually.  :-)
 I don't think we were even called LOULUG at the time.

The first install fest done on the Ole Miss campus was co-sponsored, and
mostly organized, by LUGOJ (Jackson, MS).  We put on one or two after that
ourselves, but the last one that I remember happening would've been, I
believe, in 2002.

So, yeah, it's been a while.  :-)

That being said, I think it'd be a cool idea to try to organize something
again.  One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the landscape has changed
fairly significantly from back in the day.  Two of the main reasons for the
rise of installfests was to give people a chance to experience Linux for
themselves, and to assist with installation (partitioning, hardware
configuration, software migration, etc.).  Both of those are largely
irrelevant these days thanks to live CDs and truly effortless Linux installers.

I still think installfests are good things, and can be quite helpful to
people, but I would suggest playing up the informational and demo angles as
well.  Eg., someone may be a bit hesitant about installing Linux on their
own system, but what's the harm of seeing a demo?  What's the harm of
What's the harm of showing up and asking questions of experienced Linux
users, including the biggie - "Why?"

Just some food for thought.

--
Jared Breland