[loulug] Re: Meetings for September

  • From: "DJ polstee" <djpolstee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:43:59 -0500

Yea, things like that are those logistical things to work out. Some others
that I'd like to throw out there are,

1) What distros do we to use?
2) Limit installs to VMware server (as to not deal with partitioning
someone's physical disk)?
3) For students with desktops, can we provide mouse/keyboard/monitors so
they don't have to lug them up there (no pun intended)
4) Where is a good place/area to attempt such a thing? Classroom in Weir?

My opinions on these would be, as far as distros, I think that we should
stick to some of the "easier to manage" distros that we're familiar with (eg
Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora Core, Vector). I'd imagine that not all students are
ready to deal with partitioning the hdd and limiting the storage space for
their existing OS, so it'd be smart to use VMware Server as it is a free vm
software that VMware offers. I currently have three monitors at my house
(crt) that I'd be willing to bring up to campus to use if, and only if, we
couldn't borrow any monitors from CS or IT. I'm a little unsure about where
to hold such an event in Weir as ideally we'd want some tables to set
machines up on and the only areas like this are the labs and the former-cafe
area. Any thoughts?