[loulug] Re: Meetings for September

  • From: Tobin Maginnis <ptm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:45:48 -0500

The most difficult aspect of installing Ubuntu, for example, are the down load time. So at a minimum those images should be on a local mirror.

T-

DJ polstee wrote:
Another thought for the meeting. I spoke with a CompSci professor today who
inquired as to whether or not we did a regular install fest. Unfortunately,
while I've been in school at least, I don't think that we have ever had an
install fest. As an idea, instead of having a meeting from 7 on, maybe we
can have an install fest from 6 on. Ofcourse, there are some logistical
things to work out, but I definitely think that having an install fest could
be fun and could help with attracting new students.

Any ideas, thoughts?

On 8/27/07, DJ polstee <djpolstee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As the new semester is underway, I hope everyone is enjoying the new
congestion in traffic as well as the congestion in your preferred
restaurant.

I wanted to inform everyone about the two meetings for September.

The first meeting will be Thursday, Sept. 6, at 7:00 pm in room 235 Weir
Hall. I just spoke with the CompSci Dept. this week to reserve that room for
us. I would like some response from you guys about two things
1) Topic of Discussion -- Would someone like to speak about something that
they are working on or something that they have done? I could talk about my
recent endeavors with my Nokia 770 or maybe Droops (Andrew) would be
interested in talking about some Asterisk stuff. I'd like to come up with a
discussion topic this week so we can start putting fliers up around campus.
2) Flyers -- Would someone like to handle distribution of the fliers? I've
already got an idea for a flier, so it would just be a matter of making
copies and hanging them up around campus.

The second meeting will be a little more informal as it will be held
Thursday, Sept. 20, at 7:00 pm in Abner's on University. The purpose of this
meeting will be just to gather in a more social setting and just hang out
and discuss random tech/linux topics. This is how most of the LOULUG
meetings that I've attended have ever been and is a bit more representative
of the general nature of linux and linux users. If someone would be
interested in helping with fliers, that would also be beneficial.

Scotty