[loulug] Re: [IP] Re: Apple embeds email address in DRM-free downloads

  • From: Bill Taylor <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: loulug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:38:32 -0500

So, anyone interesting in releasing a little tool that will scan all "plus" music files and zero-out all the identifying data? IANAL, but I don't think that can be illegal. It isn't even in violation of the DMCA.

Errol Sayre wrote:
If you use a hex editor to "zero out" the obvious bits of identity the file still manages to play everywhere I tried it.

I think the original author was not actually getting an iTunes Plus file or this is just some totally made up FUD.

It's possible that my AppleID is encoded within the file in some way other than the plain text version I can see, but so far I have only managed to make the file unplayable by totally removing those strings (as opposed to simply overwriting them with 0s).

On Jun 1, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Bill Taylor wrote:

I wonder if the zeroed out ID file will play on other media players. Itunes plays "normal" MP3 files with no trouble, so it might be that a simple transcode to MP3 will get rid of the identifying data.