[louisianaleps] sightings for 3/27/15

  • From: "Craig Marks" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cwmaplc@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 11:47:52 -0400

I traveled to Hutchinson Creek WMA in St Helena Parish and then Sandy Hollow
WMA in Tangipahoa Parish yesterday, looking for Cobweb Skippers without
success. The fields/roadsides at Hutchinson had been bush-hogged. I saw very
few grass skippers.

Hutchinson (10:15-12:15)

3 Spicebush  ST
! Giant ST
1 Cloudless Sul
1 Little Yel
C Red-banded HS
C Pearl Cres
1 Question Mk
5 Am Lady
1 Red Adm
2 Red-spotted Purples
3 Goatweeds
12 Little Wood Satyrs
A Caro. Satyrs
C Juvenal's DW

Sandy Hollow WMA (1:15-3:30)

1 Pipevine ST
2 E. Tiger ST
2 Spicebush ST
2 Cloudless Sul
1 Barred Yel
2 E. Pine Elf (females down low ovipositing on pine seedlings)
8 Red-banded HS
C Pearl Cres
4 Goatweeds
5 Little Wood Nymphs
A Caro. Satyrs
2 Longtailed Sks (early)
3 Cloudywings (still working on id, possibly Confused))
10 Dusky Roadside Sks (most seen at low growing white flowers)

I saw one small yellow grass skipper, A male, the stigma was visible. I suspect
it was a Fiery, but I never saw the ventral wings so might have been a
Whirlabout)

Craig Marks