[louisianaleps] Re: recent butterflies

  • From: "Vernon Antoine Brou Jr." <vabrou@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 01:51:03 -0600

Dave,

    Your question sent me to the collection to answer concerning Polygonia
comma.  I find that I have only 44 specimens of comma presently in my
possession. I’ve probably taken 50-60 specimens of it at least.  I don’t keep
broken or worn specimens unless they are really something rare. So I put
together this 1 ½ page species account about this comma in Louisiana. pdf
attached. So now you know everything I know about Polygonia comma in Louisiana.
It is not a commonly encountered species, though apparently probably more
abundant in some isolated locations across the state. On the other hand
Polygonia interrogationis is a very common species, no doubt because it has 5
annual broods in Louisiana. Brock and Kaufman (2003) says interrogationis has
two annual broods, and they are wrong about the annual broods for that species
as well.  All authors just copy what other authors have published about
phenology of our lepidoptera species.  If I wasn’t clear about that --- ‘ALL
AUTHORS’ have plagiarized lepidoptera phenology information going back 1 ½
centuries.

Vernon