[louisianaleps] Re: Zebra

  • From: Zack Lemann <zlemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "MuthD@xxxxxxx" <MuthD@xxxxxxx>, Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>, "louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "kc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <kc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx" <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>, "jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "rseidler104@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rseidler104@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:29:07 +0000

Given our containment standards, I would rule out with high confidence that
David’s specimen originated from Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium.  In
the 90s, zebra longwings could be shipped here from FL for releases, but that
is not the case any longer; I know of no reputable Floridian suppliers of live
butterflies that would ship zebras here (their actual list of permitted species
for transport and release between FL and LA is rather small, something like 9
species or so, I think).

I had a co-worker in the Zoo’s butterfly exhibit in the mid-90s who knew of a
small colony in Jefferson Parish (Marrero area), which may be the same one
Vernon Brou was aware of, but I’m not sure.  I seem to recall at least one
other such small-and-no-longer-present colony in SE Louisiana from several
years back (10 or more), but I don’t remember where.

My understanding is that their larvae have a preference for Passiflora lutea.
David, you must know this occurs in Jean Lafitte Park, so I am assuming you
never saw a zebra in the park…is that correct?  Every time I pass the plant, I
get hopeful for a caterpillar or adult sighting!

-          Zack

Zack Lemann
Animal and Visitor Programs Manager
Audubon Butterfly Garden Insectarium
(504) 587-2109
zlemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:zlemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: David Muth <MuthD@xxxxxxx<mailto:MuthD@xxxxxxx>>
To: louisianaleps
Sent: Tue, Oct 28, 2014 9:40 am
Subject: [louisianaleps] Zebra
I realize that there is a strong possibility the Zebra in my garden Sunday was
not a natural occurrence.  Are there years when Zebra occurrences in Louisiana
or the northern Gulf generally show a pattern suggesting natural vagrancy—i.e.,
widespread random sightings rather than a sighting or outbreaks in city
gardens? Any other Louisiana sightings this fall?

David Muth
New Orleans