[louisianaleps] Re: Zebra

  • From: "Craig Marks" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cwmaplc@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: MuthD@xxxxxxx, louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx, jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rseidler104@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:14:14 -0400

David,

   There are records from the past of colonies appearing then disappearing here
in LA, but I would not characterize these records as regular or suggesting a
pattern. Vernon Brou found a breeding colony in Jefferson Parish in the
mid-90's. Kevin Cunningham found it over a two month period in Terrebonne
Parish but felt his sightings were associated with a butterfly exhibit/release.
I saw it over two weekends in Lafa. Parish one November, but, like you, I felt
it was associated with some sort of release (maybe a wedding?).

   Gary Ross raised many of this butterfly at his home/garden in BR. He has
opined that this b/f cannot survive a hard winter but can survive a mild one
here in LA. I know of no other sightings this year.

Craig Marks