[louisianaleps] Sunday 9/29/13 Abita Creek Flatwood Preserve, St. Tammany Parish

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rseidler104@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kncunning@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:11:55 -0400 (EDT)

IN a reverse of my strategy from last weekend (when I went west to Cameron to
avoid all the rain to the east), with rain moving in from the west, I went east
and visited Abita Creek Flatwood Preserve. I had sun from 10:00-2:00. It was a
very nice day with alot of butterflies and skippers out. I saw a total of 27
species with two surprises. The first was what I believe was a fresh N.
Pearly-eye.I will send pictures to Ricky Paterson so he can confirm my
diagnosis. The other was what I believe to be a male and female Dion Skipper. I
am sure about the male. I will post pictures of the suspected female.

There were alot of Yehl, Tawny-edged and Neamathla  Skippers flying.

2 Pipevine ST
1 Black ST
5 Palamedes ST
6 Cloudless Suls
2 Sleepy Orange
3 Little Yellows
8 Gulf Frits
3 Pearl Cres
A (40+) Common Buckeyes
2 Pearly-eyes (the one I saw clearly appears to be a Northern)
4 Caro. Satyrs
11 Ga Satyrs
1 Long-tailed Skipper;
1 Tropical Checkered-skipper;
9 Neamathla Skipper (there were more but I wan't really trying to count all of
them);
2 Clouded Sks
4 Fiery Sks
11 Whirlabouts (again, there were more flying but I wasn't really trying to
track all of them) 2 Sachem
C (15+) Yehl Sks
2 Delaware Sks
10+ So. Broken-dashes