[louisianaleps] New Orleans, 76 White Peacocks

  • From: Dave Patton <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LA Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Muth, David" <MuthD@xxxxxxx>, Phillip Wallace <PhillipWallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marks, Craig" <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:48:26 -0600

Phillip Wallace, David Muth, and I met at Bayou Sauvage NWR in New Orleans
this morning to look for butterflies and birds. Phillip and David have been
seeing White Peacocks at this location for several months. We surveyed
Recovery 1 Road along the side of the refuge and the Joe Madere Marsh board
walk. A large area along the edge of the marsh was covered with a mat of
Bocopa rotundifolia,a larva host plant of the White Peacock. Adult WP could
be seen feeding, copulating, and ovipositing on the mat of vegetation. My
count on the day was 76, but I only walked a small portion of the habitat.
They easily number several hundred. The Bocopa mat was about 100 yards wide
and extended at least a 1/4 mile along the edge of the marsh that we could
see. The water level had dropped and you can walk out onto the vegetation
among the butterflies. White Peacocks were also seen sunning and feeding in
the areas around the marsh.
Paste coordinates to Google Maps for location:
30.053443,-89.876426

I put a few photos from the day on a web site:

http://www.pbase.com/pattonpix/whitepeacock

Dave Patton
Lafayette

Bayou Sauvage NWR, Orleans Parish, 11/17/13
Temp mid 70's, PC to Cldy, S 10mph
08:45 to 13:30

11  Sleepy Orange
3  Cloudless Sulphur