[louisianaleps] Natachitoches Kisatchie NF Butterflies

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 19:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

Charlie Lyon, Rosemary Seidler and I butterflied Kisatchie National Forest in
Natchitoches Parish today for about 5 hours.  Butterflies were scarce, but we
did get 22 species.  The best was nine Reakirt's blues.  I cannot believe it.
Yesterday we had three and thought that was fantastic, but nine is
unbelievable.  Previously I had not seen nine in Louisiana in my lifetime.  For
some reason, we have an influx of Reakirt's blues in northwestern Louisiana.
Charlie Lyon (a new butterflier) got four new species today:  Reakirt's blue,
red-spotted purple, common wood nymph, and southern broken-dash.  The complete
list is below.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

1        Silver-spotted