[louisianaleps] Kisatchie Butterflies

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:24:41 -0700 (PDT)

Jean Trahan, Rosemary Seidler and Dave Patton met at Longleaf Vista in
Kisatchie National Forest in Natchitoches Parish to butterfly.  Since we had
four participants, we decided to do a NABA butterfly count.  The reason for
conducting a survey at this time of year was to attempt to find a yucca
giant-skipper.  We surveyed butterflies for five hours and unfortunately found
no yucca giant-skippers, but we did find 20 species.  The best of these were
one Henry's elfin and two pepper and salt skippers.  The most plentiful
butterfly was the 88 pipevine swallowtails.  The complete list is below.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

6 Sleepy Duskywing
8 Horace's Duskywing