[louisianaleps] Eddie Jones Butterflies--Caddo Parish

  • From: jftrahan <jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisiana Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:55:09 -0700 (PDT)

I went to Eddie Jones Park in Southwest Caddo Parish (near Shreveport) today
(Sunday) on the recommendation of Rosemary Seidler.  She said that she recently
saw lots of butterflies there and in particularly many dun skippers.  I spent 1
hr and 40 minutes there this afternoon and she was right, there were lots of
butterflies and many, many dun skippers.  I saw a total of 23 species, which
included lots of little yellows and gulf fritillaries.  But the best
butterflies
were two ceraunus blues and one long-tailed skipper.  The ceraunus blues are
rarely ever seen in the state.  The long-tailed skippers are not rare, but
rather scarce and nice to see.  The complete list is below.

Jeff Trahan
Shreveport

20              Hoary Edge
3                Sachem