[louisianaleps] Cooter's Bog Vernon Parish butterflies 6-14-14

  • From: Charles Lyon <lyon5516@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LA Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 20:17:46 -0500

Lep Folks,

Hubert Hervey and I drove down from Shreveport Saturday 6-14-14 and joined
Craig Marks and Dave Patton at Cooter's Bog in Vernon Parish. We did not find
any Little Metalmarks,
but had a good list. My individual list  which will differ a bit from the
others is as follows:

1. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 3
2. Spicebush Swallowtail 8
3. Palamedes Swallowtail 4
4. Little Yellow 20
5. Gray Hairstreak 12
6. Red-banded Hairstreak 5
7. Eastern Tailed-Blue 1
8. Reakirt's Blue 1   Can't go anywhere without finding this, which I was told
was rare Pictures to Craig
9. Pearl Crescent 14
10. American Lady 1
11. Common Buckeye 2
12. Red-spotted Purple 1  (plus 2 more in Rapides Parish on way home)
13. Carolina Satyr 5
14. Georgia Satyr 5   New one plus some good photos Thanks Craig
15. Common Wood-Nymph 5    Jeff and Rosemary told me this one was really hard
to find in LA….I 'm beginning to wonder??
16. Southern Cloudywing 1 new one
17. Wild Indigo Duskywing 2 new one
18. Southern Broken-Dash
19. Twin-spot Skipper 1 new one Thanks Dave

We then stopped in a wooded area of the Kisatchie NF in Rapides Parish on our
way home and had:

Spicebush Swallowtail 2
Little Yellow 6
Pearl Crescent 2
Common Buckeye 2
Red-spotted Purple 2
Little Wood-Satyr 5 (#20 for day list)
Horace's Duskywing 3  (#21 for day list)
Southern Broken-Dash 3

Hubert and I added an American Snout (#22 for day list) at the Boyce Recreation
Area also in Rapides Parish on the way home.

It was a great day to be in the field. Thanks to Craig and Dave for your
expertise.

Charlie Lyon
Shreveport, LA