[louisianaleps] Cameron lists from last weekend

  • From: Dave Patton <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LA Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:27:52 -0500

Laleps,
I spent last weekend in Cameron with a few of my old birding friends. We
stayed at a friends camp, and searched our regular spots for birds. I also
kept a list and looked for butterflies. The weather was not good for
migrants, so it was easy to give time to butterflies. Blue Goose Trail was
closed, but I pulled into the small parking lot on the east side of the
road through Sabine NWR that is a pull out for the Creole Nature Trail.
There was a nice rim of blooming plants around the parking lot and I found
Salt Marsh Skippers and Bay Skippers.
Saturday we drove Mae Beach and headed west toward the Sabine River. I got
out about 5 miles east of the state line and walked a mile of the grass
line and dunes of the beach. There were plenty of Ceraunus in the dunes and
W Pygmy Blues along the vegetation line. I also kept a list for a short
visit on Lighthouse Road and another in Peveto Woods.

Creole Nature Trail Pull Off, October 11, 2013, 30 minutes
8  Little Yellows
14  Phaon Crescents
7  Bay Skippers
6  Salt Marsh Skippers

Mae Beach, October 12, 2013, 2 hours
3  Pipevine Swallowtails
4  Gray Hairstreaks
62  W Pygmy Blues
52  Ceraunus Blues (more found at many other beach locations)
1  Gulf Fritillaries
120  C Buckeyes
4  Queen
4  Ocala
1  Obscure Skipper

Light House Rd, Oct 12, 2013, 2 hours
4  Gr Southern White
11  Little Yellow
4  W Pygmy Blue
3  Gulf Fritillary
6  C Buckeye
6  Phaon Crescent
2  White Checkered Skipper
15  Checkered Skipper sp.
1  Eufala Skipper
1  Obscure Skipper

Peveto Woods, October 13, 2013, 2 hours
3  Cloudless Sulphur
18  C Buckeye
50  Gulf Fritillary
4  Gray Hairstreak
6  Phaon Crescent
6  Eufala
4  Cloudless Skipper
1  Fiery Skipper
1  Monarch
4  Ocala
5  W Pygmy Blue (beach)

We set up a black light at the camp Friday night and got some interesting
moths including a Ello Sphynx Moth. Thanks to Craig Marks, Jeff Trahan,
Rosemary Siedler, and Terry Davis for tips and help with ID.

Dave Patton
Lafayette