[louisianaleps] Abita Creek and Lake Ramsey, St. Tammany Parish

  • From: "Craig Marks" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cwmaplc@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx, louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:47:52 -0400 (EDT)

I drove over to the referenced locations Sunday, the 13th. It was very hot and
there was not a lot flying. Much of both locations were burned this spring and
that has caused, I believe, the low numbers encountered.

I did find Common Wood Nymphs at both locations. That is the first time I've
seen this species in the Florida Parishes (others have, just not I). Anyway, I
mention this because 2 of the 4 I saw had a single spot in the yellow patch. I
have seen this also in the Biloxi and Pensacola areas, but not in the western
portion of the state where all have two spots.

My list:

1 Black ST
1 E. Tiger ST
8 Palamedes ST
3 Pearl Cres
3 Buckeyes
4 Common Wood Nymphs
1 Whirlabout
1 Tawny-edged Skipper
2 Delaware Skippers.

Both locations were short on insects. There were dragon- and damselflies (saw 8
Ebony Jewelwings) but not big numbers. There were some bees and bumblebees, but
again, not a lot. I wasn't even bothered by mosquitos or biting flies. Again, I
think this is associated with the spring burns. I wonder how those burns will
impact the crop of Arogos Skippers that should be flying in about a month.