[Louisiana Cemeteries] Proposed Washington Parish reservoir to cover 9 cemeteries

  • From: LouisianaGenealogy Blogs <louisianagenealogyblogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxx, lacemeterypreservation@xxxxxxxxxx, LA-CEMETERIES@xxxxxxxxxxxx, lasavinggraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

In my Google Alerts today the following story from the Bogalusa Daily News,
Washington Parish, Louisiana.

Comments, pro and con, voiced on reservoir

http://www.edailynews.info/articles/2008/04/11/news/news08.txt
April 11, 2008

BY JOHN H. WALKER

The Daily News

BOGALUSA - For the layman, sorting through all of the comments ... some
sprinkled with fact, others stirred with fiction and all doused with emotion
... would be an impossible task, but for CDM and the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers it's all part of a day's work in the gathering of information for the
environmental impact study in conjunction with the proposed Washington Parish
Reservoir.

The 30-day collection period of comments in regards to the project got under
way Thursday in the municipal courtroom at Bogalusa City Hall. A total of 27
persons - more than a quarter of those in attendance - spoke on the project
with almost two-thirds voicing opposition.

If there was any one non-emotional theme that permeated the comments, it was
the plea to CDM and the Corps to look at every aspect of the project and all of
its impacts.

But there were accusations as well as questions about information disseminated
by the Washington Parish Reservoir Commission (WPRC) over the years, including
whether or not the reservoir would be for recreation, economic development or a
potable water supply.

While some opponents, including retired LSU AgCenter biologist Sandy Corbitt,
accused the commission of a chameleon-like role of changing its stance in an
effort to meet the path of least resistance.

"It is interesting to see the latest reincarnation (of this project)," Corbitt
said. "At first, it was touted as a source for recreation then, when that drew
opposition, they switched to economic development. Now, it's (for) potable
water."

Corbitt said there has been no drastic water level drop in the Southern Hills
Aquifer system as there has in the Chicot Aquifer in southwestern Louisiana.

"Situated as we are, it is unlikely Washington Parish will experience a drop in
potable drinking water," he added.

Opponents also cited inconsistencies in the commission's data.

"There's more property affected than shown on the map in the WPRC brochure,"
said Ginger Corkern. "I'm here looking for the truth and I'm counting on you."

A retired geologist said he had investigated groundwater data from the U.S.
Geological Survey (USGS) and found "no systematic decline" in the water table,
"but the reservoir commission continues to talk about a water crisis."

Leslie March, of the Sierra Club, joined Corbitt in raising concerns over
endangered species such as the gopher tortoise and Florida panther as well as
pointing out other concerns, such as the footprint of the pool overflowing the
Choctaw Trail and nine cemeteries as well as the impact the lake would have on
the habitat in and around the pool.

John Lovelace of the USGS in Baton Rouge said his agency is "not aware of any
groundwater problems in this area. Generally, there is a lot of groundwater
available that is undeveloped."

But just as there was opposition, there was support as well.

Mike Gill of the Franklinton Area Economic Development Foundation said his
group voted unanimously to support the project and recalled a period of water
problems in the 1990s when farmers had wells go dry and even Lake Choctaw ran
dry.

Ryan Seal of the Washington Economic Development Foundation said his board also
voted in support of the project and, in response to statements that there was
no water problem, said, "I'm glad the aquifers aren't running dry, but we need
to dig the well before we get thirsty."

Jim Carr of Franklinton and Freddie Bauer of Oak Grove, where the reservoir
would be located, said the building of the project would create jobs, provide a
recreation outlet and be a source for water.

State Sen. Ben Nevers told CDM and the Corps he "would ask you to look at every
issue and all alternatives and, in the end, if there is no alternative, I ask
the Corps to issue the permit."
http://mail.yahoo.com