[Louisiana Cemeteries] Cemeteryscape 2009, A Run Through History, Carenco Cemetery,

  • From: Louisiana Cemeteries <louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Post RootsWeb <la-cemetery-preservation@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Topica Louisiana Cemetery Preservation List <LACEMETERYPRESERVATION@xxxxxxxxxx>, LouisianaCemeteryPreservation Yahoo Group <LouisianaCemeteryPreservation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:16:16 -0800 (PST)

Carencro Cemetery Concerns
A catholic cemetery is not only charging family members fees but also locking
them out from seeing their loved ones.
http://www.klfy.com/global/story.asp?s=11398975

From the Save Our Cemeteries.org website:

Cemeteryscape - November - This event is a juried photography exhibit and sale,
with 40% of all sales going to Save Our Cemeteries.  This collaborative effort
encourages amateur and professional photographers to focus attention on the
aesthetic beauty of our outdoor museums.    Follow links for entry information
and entry form.

Call for entries:
http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/calendar/2009_CEMETERYSCAPE_CALL_FOR_ENTRIES.pdf

Entry form:
http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/calendar/CEMETERYSCAPE_2009_ENTRY_FORM.pdf

Calendar of Events:
November 15     A Run Through History, Metairie Cemetery, 8am - 12pm
Website: http://www.runnotc.org/index.html

November 18     Survey Project, Holt Cemetery, Amercian Schools of Oriental
Research (ASOR) conference
December 9      Annual Members' Meeting, 6pm - 8pm

FROM RUNNOTC

Date:
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Time:
7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. - Registration and packet pick-up
8:30 a.m. - Start of 1-Mile
9:00 a.m. - Start of 5K
Place:
Metairie Cemetery, 5100 Pontchartrain Blvd., New Orleans
Visit our Web sites @ www.LakeLawnMetairie.com or
www.runNOTC.org for directions.
Course: USATF Certification #LA06004JF
The 1-Mile and 5K courses will both run through historic Metairie
Cemetery. Established in 1872, the tract of land was previously the
Metairie horse racetrack. It is now one of the most famous and
historical cemeteries in the South, offering amazing architectural
style. The national landmark also offers an historical driving and
walking tour of Louisiana’s history that includes the resting places
of many past governors, mayors, military leaders and prominent
men and women of the business, cultural, political and social life
of New Orleans.
Entry Fees:
(By check or credit card payable to New Orleans Track Club, Inc.) $20 ....
Preregistered NOTC, SOC members by Nov. 9
$25 .... Preregistered non-members by Nov. 9
$15 .... Preregistered Youth (age 15 and under) by Nov. 9
$30 .... Late registration fee after Nov. 9 thru day of race
$20 .... Late registration fee Youth (age 15 and under) after Nov. 9
thru day of race
$20 .... Day of race, no T-shirt entry will be available
Benefactor Entry Fee
Includes:
• One race entry
• Your run dedicated in the memory of a loved one
• A post race tour of Metairie Cemetery
• One pure silver pin commemorative piece
• A one-year family membership to Save Our Cemeteries
• A subscription to Louisiana Life magazine
• A subscription to the Save Our Cemeteries newsletter
• Two tickets to tour Lafayette Cemetery No. I
• Admission for two to the Save Our Cemeteries Lecture Series
OVER A $100 VALUE!
ONLY $50 BY OCT. 25!
Preregistration Locations:
Bicycle Connection - 3236 N. Arnoult, Metairie
GNO Cyclery - 1426 S. Carrollton Ave., New Orleans
Phidippides - 6601 Veterans Blvd., Metairie
Sneaker Shop - 904 Harrison Ave., New Orleans
West Jefferson Fitness Center - 175 Hector Ave., Terrytown
West Jefferson Fitness Center - 1121 Medical Center Blvd.,
Marrero
Varsity Sports - 2021 Claiborne St., Mandeville
Runner’s Choice - 4700 Hwy. 22, Mandeville
Preregistration:
BY MAIL:
NOTC P.O. Box 52003, New Orleans, LA 70152-2003. Postmark
deadline Nov. 9. Payable by check or credit card only.
BY FAX:
Fax to NOTC at (504) 469-9268 by Nov. 9. Payable by credit card
only. Please fax in sign-up section only, not the entire form.
ONLINE:
Visit www.runNOTC.org for details.
For preregistraion by mail or fax, please pick up race number on day of race at
the “mailed in” table at the start area.
T-Shirts:
Commemorative T-shirts will be given out on the day of the race
to all preregistered entrants. Please pick up T-shirts prior to race
start time. All day-of-race entrants may pick up their T-shirts after
the start of the race. Please bring your race number and
T-shirt tab to claim T-shirt.
Post-Race Celebration:
Await the results of the Awards Ceremony and raffle while
enjoying The Benny Maygarden Band, soft drinks, beer, sports
drinks, coffee, red beans and rice, pasta, jambalaya, smoothies, and
more. Visit booths to find out more about our sponsors, purchase
Commemorative Pieces, or purchase a raffle ticket. Great fun for
all!
Awards:
A Run Through History - 1-Mile
• 1st overall open and 1st, 2nd place age groups: 8 and under,
9-10, 11-12, 13-15
A Run Through History - 5K
• 1st, 2nd, 3rd overall, 1st masters, 1st grand-masters,
1st seniors male and female
• 1st, 2nd place age groups 10 and under through 75
and over
• Racewalkers 5K awards to 1st overall male and
female and 1st, 2nd place
50-59, 60-69, 70 and over
About Save Our Cemeteries:
Save Our Cemeteries, Inc. (SOC) was founded in 1974 to prevent
the demoliton of wall vaults surrounding St. Louis Cemetery No.
II. SOC’s programs include cemetery clean-ups, grounds maintenance,
security and tomb restorations using qualified conservators
and architects. Its lecture series, training seminars, school
tours and photography exhibits focus on cemeteries as “outdoor
museums.” Each program is in keeping with SOC’s mission of
preservation, restoration and education. Visit our website at
www.SaveOurCemeteries.org.
Race administered by: The New Orleans Track Club, Inc.
A nonprofit corporation and member of the USA T & F, RRCA
FOR RACE INFORMATION CALL (504) 467-8626
Race Director: Chuck George
Fax (504) 469-9268 | E-mail: NOTC@xxxxxxxxxxx
Race Volunteers call (504) 468-1488
Web site: www.runNOTC.org

--- On Fri, 10/30/09, LouisianaGenealogy Blogs
<louisianagenealogyblogs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: LouisianaGenealogy Blogs <louisianagenealogyblogs@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: New Orleans Photo Alliance: Cemeteryscape 2009
> To: "Louisiana Cemetery Preservation Wikispace Admin."
> <louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxx>, louisianagenealogyblogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Friday, October 30, 2009, 8:36 AM
> New
> Orleans Photo Alliance: Cemeteryscape 2009
>

> By Eric Lincoln
>

> Save Our Cemeteries, founded in 1974, is a
> non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and
> restoration of Louisiana's historic
> cemeteries and to fostering a public appreciation for
> their architectural and cultural significance ...
>

> New Orleans Photo Alliance -
> http://neworleansphotoalliance.blogspot.com/

c. 2007 - 2009 Louisiana Cemeteries