[Louisiana Cemeteries] Beekman and Shiloh cemeteries Morehouse Parish

  • From: Louisiana Cemeteries <louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Post RootsWeb <la-cemetery-preservation@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LouisianaCemeteryPreservation Yahoo Group <LouisianaCemeteryPreservation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Topica Louisiana Cemetery Preservation List <lacemeterypreservation@xxxxxxxxxx>, Post to Louisiana Cemeteries RootsWeb Mailing List <LA-CEMETERIES@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:17:41 -0800 (PST)

Compromise with recycler reached

http://www.bastropenterprise.com/topstories/x1179527088/Compromise-with-recycler-reached

BASTROP —

The emotions of residents from Beekman might be characterized as not happy but
satisfied following an agreement that will address concerns surrounding a
recycling business built adjacent to two community cemeteries.

The Morehouse Parish Police Jury will enter a cooperative endeavor agreement
with Roadrunner Recycling to build a road to provide access to the Beekman and
Shiloh cemeteries off Louisiana 142.

The agreement is part of a package approved by members of the jury at their
Monday night meeting that address access to the cemetery and other concerns
voiced by residents over a two-year period.

In addition to the access road, jurors are asking the Morehouse Parish
Sheriff's Office to continue monitoring road conditions created by trucks and
other vehicles leaving the recycling plant. The package also includes a letter
to be sent to funeral homes that conduct services at the cemeteries, asking
them to give Roadrunner owner Matt Barnes 24 hours notice so conditions along
the existing Beekman Cemetery Road can be addressed and traffic into the
business to be monitored to provide access during times of services.

Lisa Chain served as the spokesman for the nearly 60 community residents who
flooded the meeting. Choking back tears, Chain said herself and others in the
community have been offended by conditions surrounding the cemetery.

“You may say, 'Lisa Chain, you're taking this personal.' You're right. It is
personal. It is personal to me for Jim and Juanita Chain, Ray and Izora
Carpenter, Libba Moore,” and others, Chain said, reading several names of the
413 persons buried at the two cemeteries.

Police Jury attorney Jay Mitchell also said he was asking the Louisiana
Department of Transportation and Development to see if the state highway
qualified as a Federal Priority Highway System Road, which might require Barnes
to construct a new fence that would restrict the view of the recycling plant
from the highway.

Under the agreement, Barnes will build a new access road the cemetery and
provide an area to allow parking for approximately 20 vehicles. Barnes would
then be allowed to maintain the existing road that serves his plant.

“I think when we get through with this, it will provide them better access and
parking at the cemeteries,” Barnes said following the meeting. “We're working
to try and improve the conditions out there as best we can.”

As she and many of her neighbors talked outside the Police Jury office after
the meeting, Chain said the agreement was about the best the group could hope
for.

“Am I happy? No. I wish it weren't there to begin with,” Chain said. “And I
hope the jury will work with the state to try and help hide what's out there so
we don't have to look at it. But I am satisfied that we finally were able to
get something accomplished.”
Copyright 2011 Bastrop Daily Enterprise. Some rights reserved