[lit-ideas] your sense of mine...?

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:01:52 +0100

"For [Jean-Luc] Nancy, sense is there, like the world, 'just like that', as he
puts it. This 'just like that' means that existence is ungrounded, that we are
'just' open to existence and to the world. The 'just' is of course the whole
problem. At a time when every 'us' is under suspicion and we allegedly live in
a 'crisis of sense', the evidence of 'we' and/or 'sense' is so to speak no
'common sense'. For Nancy, this so-called crisis makes clear that we are, that
existence is nothing but sense: 'One must think against the times, or despite
the times, since it is still the time of the crisis' (Nancy, 1997a: 15). In
other words, that there is sense and that we are there is the radical
consequence of the unfolded space that the 'global' world is to us today."

Ignaas Devisch, "The Sense of Being(-)With Jean-Luc Nancy," _Culture Machine,_
Vol 8 (2006).
http://www.culturemachine.net/index.php/cm/article/viewArticle/36/44

Med vennlig hilsen / Yours sincerely,

Torgeir Fjeld