[lit-ideas] yes

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 10:43:29 +0000

m. donal mcevoy is exactly on target. Kant's interest (beside historical
relevance) is precisely that he rejects any "collapse" of the idea of x with x.
his (very strong) empiricist bent pushes him to search for a way, often
unstable --I'd suggest--, to provide real accounts of what "appears to be the
case". The easy way to test the relevance of this is negation. While phenomenal
(experiential in this terminology) knowledge will always tell you that the
apple in front of the eyes was green, experience does not/cannot tell anything
about the fact that it was not purple. The even more telling fact is that to
the extent one takes science seriously (Kant took very, very seriously geometry
and Newtonian physics) then while one could (almost) see series of events (ball
xe hits ball ye and ye moves etc.) and never ever see causality facts (of the
form of inertial cases, and countless others); why? because being a causal
relation entails a property of being necessary (if even one ball would not
move, then we are all wrong about the alleged causal facts) and necessities are
never ever phenomemal. compare and contrast: nothing experientially shows an
act to be free, and yet, Kant argues, nobody is able to even describe the
possibility of acting, let alone acting according to laws of morality, without
the doubtful notion of free act. Kant if wrong, was wrong in interesting ways.

best