[lit-ideas] Re: why pictures

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 21:55:28 -0500

Photos have the power to humiliate, but they also have the power to
remind us of our humanity. I took hundreds of photos in Vietnam when I
was in the Infantry, and sometimes I think just my taking them was
enough to remind the people around me that someone had a camera and was
recording what we were doing and that they should think twice before
doing stupid things. In part it depends on who's holding the camera, and
why.
In Vietnam, some guys had "Instamatics" that they took photos of dead
enemy with. War doesn't feel real. (It doesn't feel much at all,
sometimes.) So photographs are at least evidence to the person who took
them that, yes, this really DID happen.