[lit-ideas] Re: why I hate reality TV

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 09 Apr 2004 12:21:11 PDT

Da Sav'ry asks

'Why are cartoon characters so much more engaging than real
people acting like real people? To go even further, why is good
fiction involving characters in conflict so much more engaging
than real people in real conflicts?'

(1) Because cartoon characters get better lines (they don't write their own
dialogue); only have to engage the viewer's attention for at most an hour; and
because their actions take place in accordance with the unities of classical
drama*, and (2) to become caught up in the conflicts of real people is too often
to exhibit a prurient interest in things which are not, strictly speaking, any
of our business, whereas in fiction, we are allowed to indulge in the next best
thing without apology; I mean, who cares whether Vronsky is mean to Anna? She
isn't real, and neither is the locomotive that runs over her.
*This may not be _entirely_ true.

Robert Paul
Reed College