[lit-ideas] Re: whatever

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 13:03:15 +0200

Well, my understanding was that it was developed by Phoenician workers
living probably at Sinai. Would have to check what version is currently
accepted.

O.K.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Steve Cameron <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

**Actually, the alphabet existed before the Phoenicians:
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/alphabet.html

"The original alphabet was developed by a Semitic people living in or
near Egypt.* They based it on the idea developed by the Egyptians, but
used their own specific symbols. It was quickly adopted by their neighbors
and relatives to the east and north, the Canaanites, the Hebrews, and the
Phoenicians. The Phoenicians spread their alphabet to other people of the
Near East and Asia Minor, as well as to the Arabs, the Greeks, and the
Etruscans, and as far west as present day Spain.

* Until recently, it was believed that these people lived in the Sinai
desert and began using their alphabet in the 1700's bc. In 1998,
archeologist John Darnell discovered rock carvings in southern Egypt's
"Valley of Horrors" that push back the origin of the alphabet to the 1900's
bc or even earlier. Details suggest that the inventors were Semitic people
working in Egypt, who thereafter passed the idea on to their relatives
further east."

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Here one should give credit to the Phoenicians, who invented the first
alphabet. (From which the Hebrew, Greek and Latin alphabets are all
descended.) Syllabaries such as the Egyptian and the Babylonian gradually
went out of fashion or got reformed after that.

O.K.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I see a bit of confusion here. The syllables in the definition of haiku
are, indeed, syllables. The syllables may be represented in three ways,
kanji (Chinese characters), hiragana (cursive syllabary) and katakana
(block syllabary). Kanji may be pronounced in more than one way. Thus, for
example, the kanji 大 can be pronounced either "dai" or "ou" depending on
the context in which it occurs.>

My post overlooked this important category "syllabary", moving instead
between the simplistic contrast between alphabetic writing, where we may
know how to pronounce a "word" without knowing its meaning, and
ideogrammatic writing, where we may not be able to infer how a word sounds
from how it is 'pictured'. But then, as they teach at Oxford, Chinese
itself started as English spoken in England until one day many centuries
ago someone began whispering it to someone else.

On Sunday, 5 April 2015, 1:50, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I see a bit of confusion here. The syllables in the definition of haiku
are, indeed, syllables. The syllables may be represented in three ways,
kanji (Chinese characters), hiragana (cursive syllabary) and katakana
(block syllabary). Kanji may be pronounced in more than one way. Thus, for
example, the kanji 大 can be pronounced either "dai" or "ou" depending on
the context in which it occurs.

This is, for those who care to know, an artifact of the long history of
interaction between China and Japan. Written Japanese began with efforts to
use Chinese characters to write Japanese, but Japanese and Chinese are very
different languages. Japanese is highly inflected while Chinese is not
inflected at all. The syllabaries were created to add inflections to words
whose base meaning was, at least partially, captured by the choice of
Chinese character(s). Which brings us to another problem, the pronunciation
of Chinese terms imported into Japanese varied over time and depending on
the part of China from which they were imported. Chinese is, properly
speaking, a family of languages and those spoken in the south of China can
be as different from those spoken in the north as Portuguese and Romanian.

Cheers,

John
Sent from my iPad

On 2015/04/05, at 0:26, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Characters are not "ideograms" of anything.
The phonemes are the same anywhere and everywhere>

This was the received opinion in the West until "Bob Dylan at Budokan"
was issued.

Dnl