[lit-ideas] what is needed is a six volumes companion to the meeting of grice and speranza

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:46:05 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 23 February 2015 14:48
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Donnellaniana

There are many contributions by Donnellan to  philosophy, and notably,
philosophy of language. Oxford had the good judgement  of publishing a
selection of his most famous essays, along with a companion  volume of essays
by other philosophers discussing his work.

Perhaps the  interface between Keith Sedgwick Donnellan (of Sage, Cornell,
&c) and  Herbert Paul Grice (visiting Sage, Cornell, &c) may be summed up by
one  word: 'the'.

We know that Grice lectured on conversational implicature  while Donnellan was
teaching logic at Sage, Cornell. In "Logic and  Conversation", Grice lists the
'formal devices', including

the iota  operator

and its vernacular counterpart

'the'.

There are  definite descriptions that can be expressed by expressions or
operators other  than 'the', but the keyword SHOULD be 'the'.

Grice argues for the  identity thesis -- the monosemy thesis -- 'the' has just
ONE 'sense'. Therefore,  while we can distinguish between identificatory and
non-identificatory uses of  'the', these come up as 'conversational
implicatures'. (Donnellan prefers to  speak of 'referential' for Grice's
identificatory and 'attributive' for Grice's  non-identificatory.

If the Grice is right, as many think he is, then both  formalists (like Russell
-- whom Grice later call modernists) and informalists  (like Strawson
-- whom Grice later call neo-traditionalists) commit "a common  mistake"
which amounts to just ignoring the implicatures.

Alas, there are  only three references to Grice in the Donnellan Oxford volume,
and not much more  in the companion volume by other philosophers, but much
research has been done  on that. My favourite thread is one initiated by T. E.
Patton who criticised  Kripke's application of Grice to REFUTE Donnellan! We
agree with Patton that  Kripke was perhaps rushing to pay Paul by robbing Peter!

Both Donnellan's  "Reference and Definite Descriptions" (in full) and the
segment on "Definite  Descriptions" in Grice's "Vacuous Names" are now
reprinted in "Definite  Descriptions: a reader", ed. by Ostertag, MIT, and
there is a good study  entitled "Definite Descriptions" (Oxford) by Paul
Elbourne who, alas, while NOT  discussing Donnellan, focuses on Grice's various
attempts at 'the'. (I loved  Elbourne's discussion of "The king of France is
not a king" and the odd  implicatures it triggers).

One tends to think that while Donnellan is  criticising both Russell (On
denoting) and Strawson (On referring) on this,  Grice is criticising Strawson
and defending Russell; but the issue is slightly  more complex. Only armed with
the idea of conversational implicature can we  posit the monosemy thesis ("Do
not multiply senses [of 'the'] beyond necessity"  -- Grice's modified Occam's
razor), and it's by recognising the realm of  implicature that we can see that
not only Strawson is wrong (by arguing that  'the' and the iota operator DIFFER
IN SENSE) but also Lord Russell ("Mr.  Strawson on
referring"): as a philosopher of ordinary language (of what else, if  not?) H.
P.
Grice realises that what Strawson discovered are good things: there  ARE
divergences between the iota operator and 'the', but they do not belong in  the
logical form or 'sense' of the expressions in question (Grice learned about the
logical form of 'the' utterances from, of all people, Hans Sluga) but in the
realm of the implicature and the disimplicature.

Cheers,

Speranza

Refs.:

Donnellan, "Reference and  Definite Descriptions"
Grice, "Definite Descriptions in Russell and in the  Vernacular."

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest
on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html