[lit-ideas] Re: was that a slap in the kisser?

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:40:24 -0700

"...all publicly opposed the appointment."

John, I don't mean to be dense. It's just that I am, perhaps, in this
instance. I wasn't talking about opposing JR in general, at the outset.

To clarify:
Did they [Dems or columnists, for that matter] publicly express outrage that
Bush effectively promoted a questionable nominee from justice to CHIEF
justice? That's the part that feels like a slap in the face. Did any of the
Dems publicly express astonishment at such gall on the part of Herr Bush?
If he did what it seems he did, I'm astonished that any Democrat voted for
JR, on principle. But this can't be so. Nobody sane would promote a meagrely
qualified applicant for clerkship to CEO, right?
awaiting clarification,
Carol