[lit-ideas] Re: voting

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:46:07 -0700

Julie wrote> Someone explain to me why people in Florida are voting for
President  today.>

ck: Good question. The NY Times' article on it didn't give an answer. Nor
did a piece in my not-bad daily newspaper, the Fresno Bee. Here's an
excerpt:
"Early voting also gets under way Monday in Texas, Colorado and Arkansas.
Other key states this year have already begun in-person voting, including
Iowa, Nevada, Ohio and New Mexico. Balloting by mail is under way in Oregon,
the only state in the nation that has done away with polling booths
altogether."

ck: I gather that this "early voting" thing is an extension of casting
absentee ballots, only in person. Odd, eh? Question:  Does each state
determine when and how people vote in national elections? Who figured out
this early voting routine, anyway?

Carol, who is not voting today in Fresno