[lit-ideas] Re: virtue-practical example of being taught

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 16:36:03 -0500

We have what I assume is a reputable faculty of education right here at Nipissing University. I attended this self-same institution back in the late eighties and we did, indeed, have a class in educational philosophy. The only thing I can remember is the teacher reading from Bill Cosby's book about fatherhood. With one or two exceptions, these were the teachers of the teachers I didn't want teaching my children any morality.

As to Kohlberg, is he still being taught in conjunction (or in opposition to) Carol Gilligan (again going from memory...).
Ursula
in North Bay

wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

Quoting Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Most teachers were found to be in Kohlberg's fourth stage, which (without my checking) has to do with doing the right thing because "what will others think of me if I don't?" Not a pretty showing....
US in NB

W: Which is why reputable Faculties and Schools of Education offer courses in
moral ed and philosophy (amongst other things).

Walter Okshevsky
Faculty of Education/Department of Philosophy
Memorial U

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

Stan Spiegel wrote:

In graduate
school I once took a course with Lawrence Kohlberg at Harvard on his stage
theory of moral development -- and found myself electrified by the material
and where I found myself at times in the different stages.

For example, I remember at the time highway speed limits were 55 mph.
Applying Kohlberg's stage theory, one person goes 55 to avoid getting
stopped by a cop (a lower level of development: avoiding punishment);
another goes 55 because he gets better mileage than at 70 ( a little higher
level of development); a third person goes 55 because its safer at 55 than
at 70 for his passengers and the other cars on the road.