[lit-ideas] Re: views

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:59:08 -0800

I've been to the site and seen a lesser image. The one Bill posted here had creases and other signs of its history; I loved the way the photo told its tale.

Anyway, this evening I have a question for the list and some "serious literature."

The question is this: Eddie Izzard says that the French have no tradition of stand-up comedy. Which nations do? I'd particularly like to hear from those of you who live in non-English speaking countries.

The "serious literature"?

I've been reading P.D. James. On the back of the book David Lazarus, San Francisco Chronicle, writes, "[P.D.James] raises the mystery genre to the level of serious literature with her finely crafted prose, playful wit, and keen eye for detail." The book, "Murder Room" romps along, until you reach the following passage. An Oxford professor, female, is speaking, "I don't want to settle for second best. I know who I want and what I want, and it isn't a temporary affair. I know that if I go to bed with him it will cost me too much if he breaks it off..."

Imagine what it will cost him.

David Ritchie
wondering if I even have a photo of Mac in
Portland, Oregon