[lit-ideas] Re: view of names, or in ginocchio da te

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:57:28 -0230

As is so often the case, Donal offers some interesting thoughts - even if
mistaken.

When my heart ceases to function properly, and I need a triple by-pass, is my
heart "making a mistake"? Moreover, to push Phil's conceptual analysis, do I
blame my heart for making a mistake? Should I punish or discipline it in some
way? Do I blame it for not learning its function properly/correctly?

I can't see how the capacity to correct my mistakes is more
accurately/genuinely
a distinct criterion of human thought than the capacity to make mistakes. The
former capacity would seem to be possible only through piggy-backing on the
latter capacity.

A quick note on Socrates for RP: I'm not sure that Socrates ever held a theory
of Forms in Plato's sense. His calls for examples do not in themselves show
that his epistemic procedure involved assessing an example's degree of
accordance with its original Form. I think that Socrates' dissatisfaction with
his interlocutors' provisions of examples was not that they failed the
Form-test but that the examples were part of a theory or account that was
itself incoherent or self-contradictory. I believe my muses here are Vlastos
and Friederikson, but of course I may be mistaken. But if so, at least you know
you're reading the thoughts of a human, the thoughts of a human, the thoughts of
a human .... Message and author will self-destruct in 15 seconds.

Walter O

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php