[lit-ideas] Re: view of names, or in ginocchio da te

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 11:14:51 +0900

Returning to the question, however, I found myself realizing that Walter's
remark that machines don't make mistakes invokes a distinction that one can
see in play, for example, in  (a) someone slipping on a banana peel by
accident versus (b) a comedian miming someone slipping on a banana peel. We
could say that (a) is unintentional while (b) is intentional. We know,
however, that lawyers argue endlessly about such things, e.g., in
attempting to distinguish between first-degree murder, second-degree
murder, manslaughter, negligent homicide, or accidental death. Somewhere
between not guilty for reason of insanity and planned malicious murder,
there is culprit saying, "I made an awful mistake." It appears that what
counts as a mistake as serious implications, at least in courts of law.

This is not, however, an area of philosophy in which I have any expertise.

Awaiting instruction,

John