[lit-ideas] Re: useless poetry

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:50:44 -0700

On Jul 22, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Torgeir Fjeld wrote:

> Thanks, David. As we engage socially the pain recedes- perhaps -- I believe
> in
> Ulven's poem the writing subject identifies with the coat and hat who/that
> "wants to rest on a hanger", as it is the poetic "i" that expresses those
> emotions. That is to say, it is not someone else/Other who are but empty
> coats,
> but the writer. Finally, though, the poem argues against such a resolution:
> keep
> your head on, it says.

Our antidote was humor.  This, for example,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5m_J5wogMQ&NR=1

I'm constantly surprised by what you can find on you tube.  You think, "I've
haven't heard Hancock's Blood Donor in a very long while."  You tube gives you
the radio version and the television version.  Hooray for technology.  Also,
keeping your head on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,