[lit-ideas] Re: useless poetry

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:58:22 -0700

I like "hat and no head" very much.  The poem reproduces exactly England of my
adolescence when we drew distinctions between living, being fully alive, and
merely existing... which was the sentence of wage slaves who polished their
cars and cut their grass on Saturday.  Such people treasured metaphorical
hats--"the Regional Supervisor's Position might be something to shoot for one
day"--but to our heads, which were bulging with reading, these folk seemed
headless.  Somewhere I have a poem which compares them to zombies on a train,
emerging on the eight oh six, from behind newspaper tombstones.

Of course it was these people's wages and taxes that paid for my head to bulge.

Plus ca change, eh?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon