[lit-ideas] Re: used books?

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:17:09 -0400

At 03:03 PM 4/11/2006, you wrote:

Sheesh. I wish I had time to read.

Me too... that's why I always have a bunch on the go at the same time. If I read one book at a time, it wouldn't feel very edifying because it would still take me a few weeks to finish one. The one good thing about sampling multiple books is that it forces one to keep one's mind straight and on each plot... A few months ago, I was reading two very similar styles of books (i think one was Ludlum and the other was Follett) and the characters began to blend so badly, I had to put one down until I had finished the other.

Oh, I also just finished "I am Charlotte Simmons" Tom Wolfe's last book and it was not as good as any of the other books I've read
by him. I liked his "The Right Stuff", "The Bonfire of the Vanities" and "A Man in Full" but this latest one was just a bit too show-offy as if to say "look how much I, an old dude in a white suit, know about today's kids" when in fact, his "research" showed him to be the outsider that his is with stilted prose and awkward, deliberate installments of language and themes of today's college kids and to top it all off, there were almost 300 pages of fluff before ANYTHING happened. When something did, it wasn't very interesting.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada