[lit-ideas] Re: untestable proposition of the day

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:18:33 -0400

The untestable proposition of the day, indeed any day, is surely that whatever proposition we make as to the line demarcating what is testable from what is not testable is itself untestable in the sense of whatever demarcation is proposed.

___

Can we test that the untestable is the suggestion of untestability by the very nature of what it asserts about testing? Is there an ontological discontinuity between the testable and the untestable, or does the testable slowly, and by imperceptible degrees, merge with the untestable in a way we cannot test?

Or do we try these things on as a sort of brain clothing?

I haven't the foggiest but I should....it's very humid out today.

Eric

(Went to the MoMA this afternoon for the air conditioning...and because someone got me in free. Art, don't talk to me about art. Art is gift shops spelled "shoppes.")