[lit-ideas] two cans and a string

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:15:15 EDT

Yesterday my daughter went with me to the office while I sent out billing.
The hyper-terminal connection Medicare uses was frustratingly slow and I
muttered, "I might as well be using two cans and a string".  Bronnie looked at
me
like I had two heads and said, "What???".  I found myself explaining the way we
played telephone with cans and a string.  It dawned on me that it was an
antiquated and obsolete game (made obsolete, maybe, with the advent of cordless
phones?).  I started to reminisce aloud about all the games my brothers and I
played as kids that did not require video cards, joy sticks, or monitors.
Suddenly the generation gap of this generation seems a huge crevasse.  Do your
kids
play non-tech games?  Cards, marbles, dramatic play?  Is all of that simply a
thing of the past?
Julie Krueger