[lit-ideas] Re: tv screens

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 03:59:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- JulieReneB@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm thinking it has to be easier than shopping for a
> cell phone/pda
> ....wireless, bluetooth, smart cellphones....plans,
> contracts, minutes....
> arrgghhhhh.......

Interting thing about consumer tech nowadays is that
is actually much more complicated than any of the pro
stuff. I work with a bunch of people who could
propably set up a UNIX server that feeds SMS, email,
web pages, voice over IP, etc. to couple hundred
thousand PDA/cell phones, and do so blind-folded, and
still would be completely clueless with the PDA/cell
phone. None of us can figure out the supposedly user
friendly printer down the hall. And I'll bet the
displays of all our VCRs blink 00:00.

My dishwasher at home has more processing power than
my first computer, the difference being that my first
computer had a keyboard, display and generally did
what I wanted it to do. The dishwasher has four
butttons, small led display, and I can push the four
buttons in any order and always get the same default
program. And I did read the manual, but it appears to
be a description of a machine in an alternate universe
where basic engineering practices apply.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://messenger.yahoo.com/