[lit-ideas] tuesday Review

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:15:15 -0400

Dan Brown -- The Da Vinci Code

I have the picture book edition. I thought it was nice as a photographic guide, but really, there were a lot more pics than were needed. Who cares what Pope whomever looked like in a drawing. The art was cool. The places/buildings were neat, but they must have shown that albino's pain belt AT LEAST 5 times in various pictures.

Now... that said, the overuse of the pics, the very fact that there IS a picture book, a forthcoming movie, a lawsuit etc is telling of this book. I found it to be a real page-turner but not for any good reason. It was very well put together, but in a rather sterile sense. This book is not riveting unless you've lived in a cave for your whole life. Almost EVERY 'surprise' was expected by the reader. I kept reading basically to SEE if there would be any surprises. There weren't. After the first 4 or 5 'revelations', I began to deliberately guess the most obvious solution to everything and I was never wrong. And the ending was basically nothing. NOTHING, to speak of, happened in the last 50 pages.

Now, in case you get the impression I hated this book, don't. I didn't hate it. I rather enjoyed it, but I don't really know why. Perhaps it was in a guilty way, the knowledge that what seemed like common knowledge to me perhaps isn't. Maybe THAT's why it's so bloody popular with everyone. It's got enough science to interest people who dabble in science, religion for Theologians, art for art buffs etc. It's got a bit of everything.

But it doesn't really give me anything palpable. There were no new words. There were no 'oh, that's pretty cool' moments for me. It was a bunch of sparks of prodigiousness with no follow-through. I'm just really glad that I knew NOTHING about the book before reading it. It would have been even LESS interesting if I had. The thing is... it's a work of fiction that is not presented as such and the conspiracy nuts just love that. I read that, apart from the RCC, both the Opus Dei AND some albino organization (I'm NOT kidding) are both upset about the popularity of this book and their respective depictions.

In the end, it's abundantly clear why it's an extremely popular 'best-seller'. That's what it's designed to be -- from cover to cover. ALL cliches are there. Stylistically, almost every chapter ends with a batman moment "tune in, next time, same da vinci time, same da vinci channel" where he leaves you hanging for exactly the time it takes to turn the page. Once again, the short chapters of 3 or 4 pages makes it quite possible to read this whole book in the bathroom and not lose any congruity. Brown sure covered his bases.

It's extremely well researched, but is presented as such and because of this, a lot of silly people think that the opus dei DOES all these under-handed things that Brown puts on their plate. From interviews I've seen/read since reading it, it is very evident that a ton of people actually think this book is non-fiction. For those people, I suggest reading "the Celestine Prophecy" and the other books in the "james redfield" oeuvre. Now THEY are really believable (rolls eyes). If you want a genuinely interesting book, written with a similar type of yarn, but in a much better 'style', I recommend Philip Kerr's "Dark Matter: The Private Life of Sir Isaac Newton"

So, in closing, I suppose I would have to rate this as an enjoyable experience -- unfortunately, not for the reasons that Brown tried to write the book.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada