[lit-ideas] Re: today's winners

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 23:06:38 -0700

We're back. No you can't use fish heads because the seals, or sea lions--they're too quick for me to see their ears, which are the distinguishing feature-- will eat these. Some people bait their pots with cans of cat food, slightly pierced, so that the flavor and scent are carried on the current. I've not tried this. The rumor is that crabs prefer turkey drumsticks to chicken, but today's empirical results are that chicken was the more successful bait.

Total haul? Enough to feed everyone...which one would think might be the point, but actually getting to be exhausted and messing about in boats also has something to do with it. Also drinking beer and then Cava when we get home is, if truth be told, part of Tradition.

David Ritchie,
wondering about a dip in the jacuzzi and how he got in, in
Portland, Oregon
On May 24, 2008, at 8:02 AM, John McCreery wrote:

Turkey drum sticks? Genuinely fascinated. When I was growing up on an estuary that feeds into Chesapeake Bay, we baited crab pots with fish heads and trash fish that we didn't want to eat. First time I've ever heard of crabs liking turkey.

John