[lit-ideas] Re: to lurk or not to lurk, that's the question -"AMEN!"

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 08:13:00 -0500

 From ZEN FLESH ZEN BONES:

Learning to be Silent

The pupils of the Tendai school used to study meditation before Zen
entered Japan. Four of them who were intimate friends promised one
another to observe seven days of silence.

On the first day all were silent. Their meditation had begun
auspiciously, but when night came and the oil lamps were growing dim one
of the pupils could not help exclaiming to a servant: "Fix those lamps."

The second pupil was surprised to hear the first one talk. "We are not
supposed to say a word" he remarked.

"You two are stupid. Why did you talk?" asked the third.

"I am the only one who has not talked," concluded the fourth pupil.

(#71 of Zen Stories)