[lit-ideas] Re: things we know

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:03:07 -0230

Hmmmm .... : "a substantial amount of trained philosophers ..."

I will grant "an amount of money," but not an "amount of trained philosophers."
Truth conditions for that expression are highly ambiguous, thus rendering the
expression itself quite meaningless. Similarly, we can cogently speak of a
"number" of trained philosophers, but not of a gaggle, herd, pride, school of
trained philosophers. (Well, maybe "school" if they're from Oxford or
Freiburg).

Thus do I aver .... that philosophers - be they trained or not - do not come in
"amounts" - though many may well have been mounted on their own petards and/or
have been mounted by certain significant or generalized others (or both). Such
latter circumstances will not be pursued further here.

These things - like a walk in the park - are hard to know, of course. The
question may not be an empirical one, at the end of the day. Transcendental
analysis may amount to a significant discovery here.

Walter O
MUN