[lit-ideas] Re: the standard for higher standards

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:25:05 -0500

>>I would agree, but wasn't it Bush who declared right at the start that it was a war of good vs evil.

After all that stuff about Brits being independent political thinkers, why would you think Yanks are bound to every word and slogan of the Bush administration? Just because I want us to get the upper hand in the Long War doesn't mean I buy into Bush's theology or any statements he makes to his political base. And I'm sure you see a variety of opinion from the independent-minded Yanks on the list.

It's like asking why, since Churchill said "we will fight them on the beaches..." you fought them in Cannes.