[lit-ideas] Re: "the space of reasons" from Morc Huck Pump

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: jlm@xxxxxxxxxxxx, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:41:53 -0230

One can "act on reasons" w/o a full explict, conscious rehearsal of those
reasons prior to performing the act. This fact is captured in the notion of a
"disposition." I do not need to actually, consciously  go through all the
reasons I have for treating my students fairly in terms of grading when I'm
engaged in assessment or evaluation.

I like to believe that I grade my students on criteria of merit, and not in
terms of whether they look, dress, act or sound like Sandra Bullock. (I admit I
have this irrational thing for Sandy, even though she no longer writes or
emails.)  Most of the maxims we act on are like that. Maxims are typically
dispositional. It is only in circumstances in which we are called upon to
thematize or justify our maxims that we avert to explicit premises and
conclusions. The morally autonomous agent is able to do so, of course. But in
the context of everyday, mundane goings-on, she does not do so. This
psychological fact is independent of the normative question of the
justifiability of her maxims - a question which an agent is obligated to
respond to when called upon to justify (not explain) her actions and
dispositions.

Dispositionally yours,

Walter O.