[lit-ideas] Re: "the space of reasons" from Morc Huck Pump

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:34:31 -0400

Gozhpadin O: After all, how long can one live a
contradiction? (I just know I'm going to regret
asking Eric that question!)

Eric: How long can one live a non-contradiction?
Regret not. It was a serious question.

WO: how is "reasons" a metaphoric term?

Beyond the notion that all language is metaphor
(pace Nietzsche), "reasons," as a word, seems to
refer to something it does not literally provide,
i.e., a structured rational epistemic argument.
(Hence the poet's love that has its reasons which
reason doth not know.)

Tom Brown:
I do not love thee, Doctor Fell,
The reason why I cannot tell

WO: An expression of affinity for or against
someone is not a knowledge-claim. So, yes, I would
say that the expression falls outside the space of
reasons.

Eric: Could it serve as a benchmark for analysis
of reasons? If one's "space of reasons" is lagging
behind one's mind, perhaps one tacitly detects
something malign or untrustworthy about Doctor
Fell, which can later serve as a "space of reasons."

1. I did not like Doctor Fell.
2. Not knowing why, I investigated him.
3. It turns out Doctor Fell is a felonious
criminal, a pederast, and a fugitive Nazi war
criminal.
4. I conclude that my expressions of affinity
contain some indicators which I cannot justify
based on a "space of reasons," unless I first
investigate those spaces to determine an epistemic
base.