[lit-ideas] Re: ...the collapse of distinctions is rhetoric, but whose?

  • From: "Eric " <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:51:26 -0400

>>As for the question posed by "eric" the symphony si the symphony, which
>>ontology eric likes is utterly irrelevant, if eric think it is identical with
>>a performance that is one of the possible choices, that, to reiterate, makes
>>no difference to the truth of identity statements.

This seem to be the nub of our disagreement: the "truth of identity
statements." In the example of the DS Tenth Symphony, I agree that my personal
choice is irrelevant. However, the simultaneity of multiple true identity
statements has not been addressed.

Cases in which, for example, the Schrödinger equation truly mean one thing,
i.e., the Schrödinger equation IS a description of the form of probability
waves for small particles--such cases--are a very small subset of identity
statements, which if true are a sampling of eternal verities.

However, in everyday life, we encounter simultaneous multiple true identity
statements. While not equations or any sort  of mathematical statements, these
multiple true identity statements are part of the natural world, as real as an
abstraction like Platonic solids, and candidates for philosophical discussion.

Additionally, there is no way to defend the meaning of one identity statement
over another. If you think DS's Tenth is the score and I think it is any
particular performance of the score, there is no way to prove one or the other
is solely correct.

Except by beginning with a consensual definition, a definition which carries an
almost tautological argument for one identity or another. Perhaps I am
exceptionally dense, but I do not understand the significance of discussing
identities without definitions.

Eric