[lit-ideas] Re: the bombing blues

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:17:27 +0100 (BST)

Eric

>Eric: Can't agree, Andy. The pundits tirelessly point out that 9/11
>happened before any invasion occurred.

I think -- this is to you and Andy and others -- that *these* bombings are
probably to do with the War on Iraq, and they are not the only ones.  But all
this (all this is in-haste plus distracted-by-a-giggling-Kurd shorthand, I hope
it's clear)- has more than one cause, of course

Judy

Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A.A. If Bush hadn't invaded, there would be no insurgency.

Eric: Can't agree, Andy. The pundits tirelessly point out that 9/11
happened before any invasion occurred. It's also reported that (1) a
significant amount of the insurgents in Iraq are foreign fighters
recruited by international networks, and (2) the Iraqi-born insurgents
receive significant support from Iran.

If you mean that Saddam would have kept up mass executions of
revolutionaries within his authoritarian state had we not ousted him, I
will agree to that. Yet that's a lot like saying World War II wouldn't
have happened if all nations supported Hitler and Tojo.

Eric