[lit-ideas] Re: the bombing blues

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:53:22 +0100

In full, the Rivers Pitt piece is both less obnoxious and deeply
flawed.  As I'm giving the url, I'll excerpt:

>The rhetoric about Iraq has been that we are "fighting the terrorists
>over there so we don't have to fight them over here." Today, "over here"
>became the streets of London. Where will it be tomorrow?

that doesn't matter, does it, Rivers Pitt (and co)?  If 50 New
Yorkers are bombed tomorrow, WTF?  after all, in Iraq, it's Tuesday...

(these people are such morons)

 >  One thing is certain. The perpetrators of this bombing bear the
 > responsibility for this wretched act, and bear the responsibility for
 > the gross miscalculation that many have made in the past: A
 > democratic society is weak and decadent, and can be easily pushed.
 > Ask Hitler if that is true. A democratic society, once enraged, is
 > the strongest force on Earth, and those responsible for this are going
 > to find that out to their woe.

 who's Rivers Pitt going to bomb into oblivion?

 (re-quotation)

 >My third response was to marvel at the news coverage. Four bombings, more
 >than thirty dead, hundreds more wounded? In London, it is a terrifying,
 >enraging, appalling act of despicable violence that must be immediately
 >avenged.

 Wrong. The police are looking for the bombers in the hope of finding
 them and bringing charges. If you want to call that revenge, carry
 on blathering.

 Early this morning some mindless thug types apparently rattled the
 gates of Finsbury Park Mosque -- but then well before this, Muslim
 graves had been desecrated.

 here's the piece

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/070705A.shtml

--