[lit-ideas] Re: the bible -- a question

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:55:42 -0400

Mike Geary wrote:

"All right, smarty pants, I don't know what you're talking about.  Get more
air conditionic."

Sorry about that.  You implied that at least some parts of the Bible were
originally written in Aramaic.  The overwhelming consensus of New Testament
scholars is that the originals of the books that make of the New Testament
were written in Greek.  As for the Hebrew Bible, that was a mix of Hebrew
and Greek.

Jesus and his disciples most likely spoke Aramaic, and it is unlikely any of
the disciples physically put pen to paper to produce any of the documents in
the New Testament.

Later, Mike continued:

"Wait a minute -- are you saying that Jesus and the disciples were
illiterate?  That there are no documents in Aramaic????"

Not saying that at all.  I once saw a document in Aramaic, but it was some
time ago so I can't be certain about what happened to it.  I also saw the
Rosetta stone.  I could read bits of the Greek but the rest was, um, well
not Greek but still Greek to me, if you get my meaning.

Semantically,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON