[lit-ideas] Re: the Iranian "smoking gun"

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:51:55 -0500

This sounds like old news, at least I seem to have heard it before, and
more than once.  Maybe it's the first time it's proven, which seems kind of
strange too, or it's par for the course.  The U.S. made a huge mistake not
accepting Iran's offers of assistance.   For all Iran's support of the
insurgency, they have no interest in a failed state on their border; it's
the last thing they need, and it's doubtful that they would want a
partitioned Iraq.  They can be a real ally if we knew how make allies,
which of course we only know how to make war.  Saudi Arabia is brinking on
major insurgencies too.  So far they've managed to clamp a lid on things
but they're nervous.  Has anyone been watching CNN's series Iraq, The End
Game?  The pictures are more horrific than anything that can be imagined
from verbal accounts.  The country is so broken, there's so much chaos,
that the civil war is just everybody killing everybody.  Al Sadr seems the
only one who has something like organization.  The U.S. troops are all but
useless.   The Baker committee is recommending bringing home the troops,
Carter is recommending immediate withdrawal.  Bush is rejecting the Baker
conclusions.  It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.